tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: HTTP Status 503 - Servlet admin.login_jsp is currently unavailable
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:00:35 GMT
Look at permissions for admin.xml -- root.root and read/write only by 
owner?  Try doing this:

(from /usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9)
chown tomcat.nobody conf/Catalina/localhost/admin.xml
chown -R tomcat.nobody server/webapps/admin

Then restart tomcat

--David

simon jones wrote:

>Think it is most likely me having the files in the wrong place by the
>looks of it, here's my dirs with file list:
>
>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/Catalina/localhost 
>
>drwxr-xr-x  2 tomcat nobody 4096 Jul 12 15:27 ./
>drwxr-xr-x  3 tomcat nobody 4096 Mar 26  2005 ../
>-rw-------  1 root   root    566 Jul 12 15:27 admin.xml
>-rw-------  1 tomcat nobody  299 Mar 26  2005 host-manager.xml
>-rw-------  1 tomcat nobody  454 Mar 26  2005 manager.xml
>
>/usr/src/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/server/webapps/admin
>
>drwxr-xr-x  13 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 ./
>drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 4096 Jul 10 16:53 ../
>-rw-r--r--   1 root root 2151 Apr 14 19:09 admin.css
>-rw-r--r--   1 root root  586 Apr 14 19:09 admin.xml
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 connector/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 context/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 host/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Jul 10 16:53 images/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 realm/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 resources/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 server/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 service/
>-rw-r--r--   1 root root  344 Apr 14 19:09 tree-control-test.css
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 users/
>drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Apr 14 19:09 valve/
>drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 4096 Jul 10 16:53 WEB-INF/
>
>Simon
>
>  
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: David Smith [mailto:dns4@cornell.edu] 
>>Sent: 13 July 2006 12:49
>>To: Tomcat Users List
>>Subject: Re: HTTP Status 503 - Servlet admin.login_jsp is 
>>currently unavailable
>>
>>There has to be some messages about the admin webapp.  The 
>>only way to not have any is if admin.xml is not stored in the 
>>correct place.  Even bad permissions should generate an 
>>exception of some sort attempting to read it.  So to recap, 
>>here's how your file structure looks and all the permissions 
>>are set correctly?:
>>
>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9
>>    - conf
>>        - Catalina
>>            - localhost
>>                ROOT.xml
>>                manager.xml
>>                admin.xml (hopefully the original as provided 
>>by the downloaded admin webapp distribution)
>>    - server
>>        - lib
>>            [server jar files here]
>>        - webapps
>>            manager
>>            admin
>>    - webapps
>>        - ROOT
>>
>>Admittedly I've abbreviated and not included some 
>>directories.  Also, do you have a catalina.out log file?  
>>What does that show.
>>
>>--David
>>
>>simon jones wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>Hi David,
>>>
>>>Ok I did as instructed and tried the admin.  Now I get the "Tomcat's 
>>>administration web application is no longer installed by default.
>>>Download and install the "admin" package to use it. " error.
>>>
>>>No entries in the log either, where next?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Simon
>>>
>>> 
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>>From: David Smith [mailto:dns4@cornell.edu]
>>>>Sent: 12 July 2006 19:58
>>>>To: Tomcat Users List
>>>>Subject: Re: HTTP Status 503 - Servlet admin.login_jsp is currently 
>>>>unavailable
>>>>
>>>>I also don't see even one reference to the admin webapp.  
>>>>This tells me something fishy is going on.
>>>>
>>>>Try this:
>>>>
>>>>First, I see you copied the admin webapp to server/webapps 
>>>>        
>>>>
>>instead of 
>>    
>>
>>>>moving it.  Delete the admin webapp in 
>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps.  It's just 
>>>>        
>>>>
>>going to 
>>    
>>
>>>>be confusing to leave a copy there (for both you and tomcat).
>>>>
>>>>Second, there should be an admin.xml file in the same 
>>>>        
>>>>
>>archive you got 
>>    
>>
>>>>the admin webapp from.  That should be placed in 
>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/Catalina/localhos
>>>>t right along side manager.xml.
>>>>
>>>>Now restart tomcat and take a look for messages related to 
>>>>        
>>>>
>>the admin 
>>    
>>
>>>>webapp.
>>>>
>>>>--David
>>>>
>>>>simon jones wrote:
>>>>
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>Hi David,
>>>>>
>>>>>Ok looks as thought the files are in the correct place:
>>>>>
>>>>>cp -r admin /usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/webapps
>>>>>
>>>>>There's nothing in tail -f
>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/logs/tomcat.log
>>>>>
>>>>>When I do a tail and access the admin it doesn't do anything.
>>>>>
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Checking 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>context[] redeploy 
>>    
>>
>>>>>resource 
>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/ROOT/META-INF
>>>>>     
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>/context.x
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>m
>>>>>l
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Checking context[] reload 
>>>>>resource 
>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/ROOT/WEB-IN
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>F/web.xml
>>    
>>
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Checking context[] reload 
>>>>>resource /usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/context.xml
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Checking 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>context[/manager] 
>>    
>>
>>>>>redeploy resource 
>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/webapps/manager
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Checking 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>context[/manager] 
>>    
>>
>>>>>redeploy resource 
>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/Catalina/localho
>>>>>     
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>st/manager.
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>xml
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Checking 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>context[/manager] 
>>    
>>
>>>>>reload resource 
>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/context.xml
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig - Checking 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>context[/manager] 
>>    
>>
>>>>>reload resource 
>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/Catalina/localho
>>>>>     
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>st/manager.
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>xml
>>>>>DEBUG ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader - modified()  DEBUG 
>>>>>ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
>>>>>org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader - modified()
>>>>>
>>>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>>>From: David Smith [mailto:dns4@cornell.edu]
>>>>>Sent: 12 July 2006 17:38
>>>>>To: Tomcat Users List
>>>>>Subject: Re: HTTP Status 503 - Servlet admin.login_jsp is 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>currently 
>>    
>>
>>>>>unavailable
>>>>>
>>>>>Did you store the admin webapp in server/webapps where it 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>belongs?  
>>    
>>
>>>>>Also check your logs.  There should be an exception trace
>>>>>     
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>just before
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>the place where this was marked as unavailable.
>>>>>
>>>>>--David
>>>>>
>>>>>simon jones wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>     
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>>>Hi, can anyone help me with this one?  Thanks!
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I've installed tomcat - no probs - manager works great as 
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>does the 
>>    
>>
>>>>>>installation but I can't get the admin working, I know this
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>has been
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>>posted before but I can't find a fix so I'm also 
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>providing as much 
>>    
>>
>>>>>>information as possible with this post.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>When I call the admin page I get the following error:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>HTTP Status 503 - Servlet admin.login_jsp is currently unavailable
>>>>>>
>>>>>>------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>----------
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>>-
>>>>>>-
>>>>>>--------
>>>>>>
>>>>>>type Status report
>>>>>>
>>>>>>message Servlet admin.login_jsp is currently unavailable
>>>>>>
>>>>>>description The requested service (Servlet admin.login_jsp is 
>>>>>>currently
>>>>>>unavailable) is not currently available.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>----------
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>>-
>>>>>>-
>>>>>>--------
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Apache Tomcat/5.5.9
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I have my admin files installed in the following locations:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/conf/Catalina/localh
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>ost/admin.
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>>x
>>>>>>m
>>>>>>l
>>>>>>/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps/server/webap
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>ps/admin/a
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>>d
>>>>>>m
>>>>>>in.xml
>>>>>>
>>>>>>thanks
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Simon Jones
>>>>>>SAQ Group
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Simon Jones
>>>>>>SAQ Group
>>>>>>Tel: 0870 737 7707
>>>>>>VoIP: 4822813
>>>>>>Fax: 0870 737 7708
>>>>>>simon@saq.co.uk
>>>>>>http://www.saqnet.co.uk AS29219
>>>>>>SAQ Group providers of communications services for UK Business.
>>>>>>DSL : Domains : Email : Hosting : CoLo : Servers : Racks 
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>: Transit :
>>    
>>
>>>>>>Backups : Managed Networks : Remote Support.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>---------
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>>To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org To
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>unsubscribe,
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>>e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>  
>>>>>>
>>>>>>       
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>----------
>>    
>>
>>>>>To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org To 
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>unsubscribe,
>>    
>>
>>>>>e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>----------
>>    
>>
>>>>>To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org To
>>>>>     
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>unsubscribe,
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>     
>>>>>
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>        
>>>>
>>---------
>>    
>>
>>>>To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org To 
>>>>        
>>>>
>>unsubscribe, 
>>    
>>
>>>>e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>--
>>>>No virus found in this incoming message.
>>>>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>>>>Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.10/385 - Release
>>>>Date: 11/07/2006
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>   
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org To 
>>>      
>>>
>>unsubscribe, 
>>    
>>
>>>e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>
>>> 
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org To 
>>unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>
>>
>>--
>>No virus found in this incoming message.
>>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>>Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.10/387 - Release 
>>Date: 12/07/2006
>> 
>>
>>    
>>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>
>  
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message