tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Madhur K Tanwani <madhurtanw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 Load Balancing Rule Classes
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:54:36 GMT
Hi,
Thanks Michael, for your reply. I've almost got my setup up and working
with Tomcat load balancer, session affinity and replication.

But, we have not yet answered the question, it seems. Here are some that
stick :
- does Tomcat 5.5 release incorporate advance Rule Classes? (RoundRobin
/ Weighted).
- Are there guidelines to develop such Rule Classes? Has anyone
developed such Rule Classes that are being used widely in production?
- How can I avoid the change of the URL in the browser, when using
Tomcat 5.5. balancer webapp? My colleague once implemented a Apache load
balancer and did not see any URL change in the browser- so I assume it
is possible.

I followed the connector how-to Michael sent. However, it seems to be
integrating Apache with Tomcat, with Apache as the load balancer. I
realize that this maybe the most common configuration (Apache as the
load balancer with tomcat as workers).

But is that the only way? I mean, is using Tomcat 5.5's balancer webapp
any performance hit as compared to using Apache as the load balancer? Or
is it because the Tomcat 5.5 balancer webapp has not matured enough, and
Apache has been the choice since history? Or is it something else that I
don't know yet!!

I searched the tomcat-user list on MARC and found a post by Fritz
Schneider,
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=111644303106705&w=2),
which enlists the reasons why the use of Apache-Tomcat couple would be
required (keeping in mind that post Tomcat 4 the devs have enhanced
Tomcat to serve  html pages most efficiently).

What I would like this thread to evolve into, is a comparison chart for
Apache load balancing Vs Tomcat balancer webapp and source to load
balancer Rule Classes for Tomcat 5.5.

Awaiting your valuable responses,
Thanks a lot,

Madhur.