tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Getting the date/time from the client
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:38:07 GMT
A good devil's advocate question, or was it rhetorical?

Either way it's got exactly the answer you'd expect, you'll set the date
to whatever Locale the Request returns.  Obviously.





Tim Lucia wrote:
> Is that really appropriate??  What if I have my Locale set to France, and my
> clock set to Pacific Standard Time?  Then what?  (assume I am on the east
> coast of the USA...)
> 
> Tim
> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Vinu Varghese [mailto:vinu@x-minds.org]
>> Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:05 AM
>> To: Tomcat Users List
>> Subject: Re: Getting the date/time from the client
>>
>> Thanks Pid,
>>
>>  I think that is a good idea
>>   Let me try
>>
>> - Regards
>> Vinu
>>
>> Pid wrote:
>>> you can get a Locale from the request, and adjust the time accordingly.
>>>
>>> Vinu Varghese wrote:
>>>
>>>> but that still sets the server date - yes ?
>>>>
>>>> Pid wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> write a filter that activates for that url, and get the time just
>> before
>>>>> you doFilter. if you need to, you can pass the date obj as an
>> attribute
>>>>> Date date = new Date();
>>>>> hreq.setAttribute("thisIsTheDate", date);
>>>>> chain.doFilter(hreq, hres);
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Jon Wingfield wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> The HTTP spec (rfc2616) says clients should only send the Date header
>>>>>> with http messages with body content (POST, PUT) and even then it's
>>>>>> optional.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Try adding a date string as a parameter on your GET request which
>> your
>>>>>> servlet can then parse from request.getParameter(...).
>>>>>>
>>>>>> One way to do this would be to change your link to a form with a
>> hidden
>>>>>> input field for your date value. Add an onclick/onsubmit javascript
>>>>>> handler to your form button which sets the value of the hidden field
>> to
>>>>>> the current date in a format that your servlet will understand.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> for example:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> function setDate(form) {
>>>>>>   form.dateField.value = new Date().toString();
>>>>>> }
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Example assumes a hidden form input field with name dateField.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> HTH,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Jon
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Vinu Varghese wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> SK,
>>>>>>> That javascript prints the current client time. But I want the
>> client
>>>>>>> time with the request.
>>>>>>> The scenario is :
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I have a index.jsp
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> <%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
>>>>>>>    pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1"%>
>>>>>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>>>>>>> <html>
>>>>>>> <head>
>>>>>>> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
>>>>>>> charset=ISO-8859-1">
>>>>>>> <title>Insert title here</title>
>>>>>>> </head>
>>>>>>> <body>
>>>>>>> Client time : <a href="clienttime.htm"> Click</a>
>>>>>>> </body>
>>>>>>> </html>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> and  a servlet that can take the client time (Hoping to :-) )
which
>> is
>>>>>>> mapped to 'clienttime.htm'
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>    protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
>>>>>>> HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException
{
>>>>>>>              response.setContentType("text/plain");
>>>>>>>              long time = request.getDateHeader("Date"); // Hoping
to
>>>>>>> get the client date.
>>>>>>>              PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
>>>>>>>             out.println("Server time " + new Date());
>>>>>>>              out.println("Client time (long) " + time);
>>>>>>>              out.println("Client time " + new Date(time));
>>>>>>>          }
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Is there any way to do this (get the client time from the request)
?
>>>>>>> Or Am I trying to do a dumb thing ? ;)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks & Regards
>>>>>>> Vinu
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Shinya Koizumi wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Vinu
>>>>>>>> Yeah, you are right about it, I can't get getDateHeader working.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> For the solution one, I have setup like this for jsp and
worked.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> <%@ page session="false" %>
>>>>>>>> <html>
>>>>>>>>    <head>
>>>>>>>>    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
>>>>>>>> charset=iso-8859-1">
>>>>>>>>    <title><%= application.getServerInfo() %></title>
>>>>>>>> </head>
>>>>>>>> <body>
>>>>>>>> Current Time:
>>>>>>>> <%
>>>>>>>> out.println("<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JavaScript>");
>>>>>>>> out.println("var currentTime = new Date();");
>>>>>>>> out.println("document.write(currentTime.toLocaleString());");
>>>>>>>> out.println("</SCRIPT>");
>>>>>>>> out.println("</HEAD>");
>>>>>>>> %>
>>>>>>>> </body>
>>>>>>>> </html>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> SK
>>>>>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Vinu Varghese" <vinu@x-
>> minds.org>
>>>>>>>> To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
>>>>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 1:24 AM
>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: Getting the date/time from the client
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Thanks SK,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I tried the second solution , but request.getDateHeader("Date")
>>>>>>>>> returns -1 .
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Also I didn't understand the first solution ( embed a
javascript),
>>>>>>>>> Can u
>>>>>>>>> pls elaborate that.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Thanks and regards
>>>>>>>>> Vinu
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Shinya Koizumi wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> One is to embed javascript in the output
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> out.println("<HTML><HEAD><title>JavaScriptExample</title>");
>>>>>>>>>>     out.println("<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JavaScript>");
>>>>>>>>>>     out.println("function back() {");
>>>>>>>>>>     out.println("history.back(-1);");
>>>>>>>>>>     out.println("}");
>>>>>>>>>>     out.println("</SCRIPT>");
>>>>>>>>>>     out.println("</HEAD>");
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> The other solution is to get it from the request
header.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
>> HttpServletResponse
>>>>>>>>>> response)
>>>>>>>>>>         throws ServletException, IOException {
>>>>>>>>>>     long l = request.getDateHeader("Date");
>>>>>>>>>>     Date d = new Date(l);
>>>>>>>>>>     System.out.println(d);
>>>>>>>>>> }
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> SK
>>>>>>>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Vinu Varghese"
>>>>>>>>>> <vinu@x-minds.org>
>>>>>>>>>> To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
>>>>>>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:51 AM
>>>>>>>>>> Subject: Getting the date/time from the client
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Hi All,
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> I am doing a project in jsp/servlet and tomcat,
which requires
>> to
>>>>>>>>>>> take
>>>>>>>>>>> the client date/time (ie the time of the machine
the browser is
>>>>>>>>>>> running). Is there any way to accomplish this
?
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks & regards
>>>>>>>>>>> Vinu
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>>> ........................................
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Vinu Varghese
>>>>>>>>>>> vinu@x-minds.org
>>>>>>>>>>> www.x-minds.org
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------
>> ----
>>>>>>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>> ........................................
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Vinu Varghese
>>>>>>>>> vinu@x-minds.org
>>>>>>>>> www.x-minds.org
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> --
>>>>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> --
>> ........................................
>>
>> Vinu Varghese
>> vinu@x-minds.org
>> www.x-minds.org
> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
> 
> 
> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message