tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Echerer <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 Load Balancing Rule Classes
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:03:53 GMT
Madhur K Tanwani wrote:
> I am trying to build a
> load balancer which enforces the following :-
>    - chooses from the available "alive" workers from the cluster,
>      in a Round-Robin / Least-Load-First manner
>    - implements session affinity
>    - includes fail over support with session replication, so there is no
> loss
>      of session data
>    - The transition is transparent to the user. Hence, whatever be the
>      "redirectURL", the URL in the browser should not change
> On another note, I wanted to ask the clustering and load-balancing gurus,
> whether I've taken up the correct approach. I see that many load balancing
> tutorials focus on Apache as the load balancer with Tomcat as the worker
> in clusters. But since most of them are old, I assume the new Tomcat 5.5
> features did not make it then - hence the question.
You can use Apache2, mod_jk1.2 and Tomcat's session replication for what
you plan to do. However session replication looks as easy as putting
<distributable/> into web.xml, but actually keeping the webapp session
serializable and small has to be kept in mind always.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message