tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Serving CSS files from a certain URL
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:09:24 GMT
Where do your logs say that it is looking for the CSS files?
There must be a record somewhere of the hit for each file, maybe that
can tell you what's wrong.

Post the log entries?

Alec Swan wrote:
> Web designers don't run web servers or servlet containers on their machines. (I call
their environment "static"). They just create web pages using Dreamweaver and preview them
in different browsers. So, in my running example Test.jsp would have the following relative
link ../../css/Styles.css in order for it to work in the "static" environment.

> However, this relative link doesn't work when I deploy Test.jsp in Tomcat. Suppose I
deploy my web-app under /testapp context. In this case, Test.jsp would have to link to the
css file through one of the following links:
> ../testapp/css/Styles.css or
> /css/Styles.css
> Neither of which work in the "static" environment used by web designers.
>
> I hope this elucidates the problem a little further. So, the question persists, what
is the right way to get links to CSS files to work in static as well as deployed environment?

> Thanks.
>
> Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroeder@gmail.com> wrote: On 7/4/06, Alec Swan  wrote:
>
>> I need to reference Styles.css from Test.jsp in such a way that it works in static
as well as in deployed mode. Note that for this to work in the static mode (no web servers
or servlet containers) all paths should be relative. Therefore, when I deploy Test.jsp I want
Tomcat either to handle relative paths correctly or ignore the path altogether and just serve
all CSS file from a certain location (directory or URL).

>> The goal of all this is to maintain only one source tree used by web designers and
Tomcat administrator and avoid changing paths in JSP files during deployment.