tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject Re: log4j in webapp hanging Tomcat?
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:22:21 GMT
Hello Avi,

Avi Deitcher wrote:
> Boris,
>
> Thank you, too. The main issue here is that I *do* want to separate my
> webapp's logging from Tomcat's, so it can be fully self-contained.
> Hence, I included log4j.jar and log4j.properties within my own webapp,
> which should make a lot of sense. In the development case, I am pushing
> the logs to the console, which end up intermixes with Tomcat's logs, but
> that is an easy switch in log4j.properties. Also, it appears that
> x4juli, according to the Website, is not quite ready for production.
>
> Any idea why this would cause hanging?
> Avi
If there is really a conflict between el and logj4j, try out the
following to be sure:
Please use the highest available version of log4j and commons-logging:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/download.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-logging.cgi

Follow the instructions in
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Commons_Logging_FUD
to separate container commons-logging and webapps commons-logging.

Put log4j.jar in $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib and a log4j.properties in
$CATALINA_HOME/server/classes

Take care to remove any log4j.jar and commons-logging-xx.jar from
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
or $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib

Take care that commons-logging or log4j is not present at
system-classpath due to your startup with Netbeans,
this may cause the problem. (Does the problem only occur with startup in
Netbeans? Does it occur standalone, too?)

Put in logj4.jar in WEB-INF/lib and log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes
as you desired with a webapp specific
configuration.

Regards
Boris