tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <>
Subject Re: log4j in webapp hanging Tomcat?
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:02:13 GMT
Hello Avi,

Avi Deitcher wrote:
> Bob,
> Thanks. Unfortunately, I am running it on my laptop (Windows) where I
> need to keep it for now as a dev environment. I run a small consulting
> business, this is an "on the side" product that need to be run whenever
> I can catch time.
> I would love to be able to get Tomcat to tell me what it is doing, but I
> am afraid that enabling logging in Tomcat itself might pollute the
> environment and make the problem worse.
> Ironically, Tomcat has neither log4j nor commons-logging in its
> $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib nor server/lib, which makes me wonder how it is
> using commons-logging in its own classes at all....
by default the internal logging of Tomcat 5.5 is done via
commons-logging to Tomcat-juli, which
itself is a java.util.logging implementation.
If you remove any direct log4j calls from your webapp and configure
properly, you will use the same system by default.

Have a look at:

Maybe you are interested in a more extended version:

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message