tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boris Unckel <boris.unckel....@gmx.net>
Subject Re: log4j in webapp hanging Tomcat?
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:02:13 GMT
Hello Avi,

Avi Deitcher wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately, I am running it on my laptop (Windows) where I
> need to keep it for now as a dev environment. I run a small consulting
> business, this is an "on the side" product that need to be run whenever
> I can catch time.
>
> I would love to be able to get Tomcat to tell me what it is doing, but I
> am afraid that enabling logging in Tomcat itself might pollute the
> environment and make the problem worse.
>
> Ironically, Tomcat has neither log4j nor commons-logging in its
> $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib nor server/lib, which makes me wonder how it is
> using commons-logging in its own classes at all....
by default the internal logging of Tomcat 5.5 is done via
commons-logging to Tomcat-juli, which
itself is a java.util.logging implementation.
If you remove any direct log4j calls from your webapp and configure
apache-tomcat-5.5.16\conf\logging.properties
properly, you will use the same system by default.

Have a look at:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/logging.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/commons-logging-1.1/troubleshooting.html
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging

Maybe you are interested in a more extended version:
http://www.x4juli.org

Regards
Boris