tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ronald Klop <ronald-mailingl...@base.nl>
Subject Re: getting "?" instead of "¢"
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:57:17 GMT
On Mon Jul 17 08:55:56 CEST 2006 Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need some help from you. I need to display Cent(¢) symbol on browser. I am
> getting ? symbol instead, what could be the problem, please explain me.
>
> Thank you.
>
> balaraju
Hello,

Use the method ServletResponse.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") in a Servlet or contentType="text/html;
charset=UTF-8" in a jsp page.
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/syntax/1.2/syntaxref1210.html#15653

But charset issues are tricky because all you files need to use a known charset. And if you
use a database it needs to have a supported charset also.
If your editor saves files in iso-8859-1 the problem is already there and the browser wil
never see the right character. So you need to debug where the character is correct for the
last time.

Ronald.