tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "OOzy Pal" <oozy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where is my Tomcat
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:33:33 GMT
On 7/25/06, Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com> wrote:
> All Tomcat installations come with startup.<sh/bat> and shutdown.<sh/bat>
located in $TOMCAT_HOME/bin
> run the startup.<sh/bat> first in some sort of console (xterm...) and note the
errors
> e.g. If it cant find $JAVA_HOME it will output debug messages to screem saying so
>
> When and only when your install has been running reliably well for some time
> place startup script in init.d
> M-
> addressed.  If you have received this email message in error, please notify

Martin,

$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/

$ sudo /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/startup.sh

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/

$ /etc/init.d/tomcat5 start
Starting Tomcat 5 servlet engine using Java from /usr/lib/j2se/1.4:

with the following catalina_out log
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

I get the above error even though JAVA_HOME points to the JDK but
tomcat insists on using /usr/lib/j2se/1.4 not
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/

any help Martin?

--
OOzy