tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "OOzy Pal" <oozy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where is my Tomcat
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:58:11 GMT
On 7/25/06, Martin Millnert <millnert@csbnet.se> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 23:02 +0200, edward wrote:
> > OOzy Pal wrote:
> >

> > > I found the JKD but I am not sure how start tomcat. I am really stuck.
> > > I am not sure what am I missing? Is there a good tutorial for
> > > installing tomcat?
> > >
> > > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> <snip>
> > Chances are that the Debian tomcat init scripts point to gcj not to the
> > Sun jdk. It's OK, you can fix that. Try javac -version, it will tell you
> > about the compiler (which is part of the jdk, not the jre).  Probably
> > you will find that /usr/bin/java and about half a dozen other
> > /usr/bin/javax commands including javac and javah are symlinks to the
> > gcj versions of java somewhere in /usr/lib. So what you need to do is to
> > change those symlinks to point to the Sun ones, probably in
> > /usr/share/lib. Some distros have a command which lets you change the
> > system's version of java (Gentoo does, I'm not sure about Debian)
> > without manually editing all the symlinks.
> >
> <snip>
>
> For reference, on a Ubuntu dapper desktop machine, here's how to manage
> the symlinks:
> root@desktop1:~# which java
> /usr/bin/java
> root@desktop1:~# ls -al /usr/bin/java*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2006-02-02 15:29 /usr/bin/java
> -> /etc/alternatives/java
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javac
> -> /etc/alternatives/javac
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javadoc
> -> /etc/alternatives/javadoc
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javah
> -> /etc/alternatives/javah
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javap
> -> /etc/alternatives/javap
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2006-03-02 14:26 /usr/bin/javaws
> -> /etc/alternatives/javaws
>
> These commands does not have to be run as root, Ubuntu favours not using
> the root account but sudo instead -- which is how OOzy was working.
> The above shows and proves that the Ubuntu-style method is in fact in
> use, and unorthodox methods has not been introduced to the packages. ;)
> There are clear advantages of managing the JDKs as real packages, and
> there is plenty of reference on this online:
> http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=the+correct+way+to+install+sun+java
> +jdk+on+ubuntu&btnG=S%C3%B6k&meta=
>
> Ubuntu (as well as Debian) ships with the update-alternatives program,
> which manages the symlinks and it is necessary to redirect these if you
> have installed and are planning on using the Sun JDK.
>
> Example:
>
> root@desktop1:~# update-alternatives --config java
>
> There are 5 alternatives which provide `java'.
>
>   Selection    Alternative
>       1        /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin/java
> *     2        /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/bin/java
>       3        /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.1
>       4        /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.0
>  +    5        /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java

> [...]
I am really lost. How about starting over? I will remove everything
and start from scratch. I just want some good tutorial on how to
install everything again.

Anyhow is some info of the my current system:

$java -version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)

$javac -version
Eclipse Java Compiler v_585_R31x, 3.1.2 release, Copyright IBM Corp
2000, 2006. All rights reserved.

--
OOzy
Kubuntu-Dapper