tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Greg Gamble <gr...@maths.uwa.edu.au>
Subject Re: mod_jk vs. mod_proxy_ajp
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:58:00 GMT
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 05:48:17PM -0400, Edmon Begoli wrote:
> I am seeing more and more blog entries and articles suggesting using
> mod_proxy_ajp over mod_jk.
>
> I have two questions on this subject:
>
> Can someone from this list please provide some practical examples and real
> stories on why should one use mod_proxy over mod_jk?
>
> Is mod_proxy meant as a future replacement for mod_jk (since they are both
> oficially hosted by Apache team and since mod_proxy is built into
> Apache 2.2web server)?

Dear Edmon,

I think you've answered your own question ... mod_proxy is built into
Apache 2.2. I was about to use mod_jk and thanks to Gael who gave (the longer
and more complex) instructions for mod_jk but explained that the functionality
I was after was provided by mod_proxy and built into Apache 2.2s; so, I just
installed Apache 2.2 ... setting up the proxy worked first go just following
the easy instructions in the docs. I can't say whether it's worth switching
if you already have a working mod_jk installation. All I can say is
setting up the proxy port for tomcat with mod_proxy was painless.
Hope that's of some help.

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble