tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alec Swan <aukcio...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Serving CSS files from a certain URL
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:33:06 GMT
I don't have the logs in front of me right now, but I will send them later today. In any case
I don't understand why this works in your case. What URL do you use to access your Test.jsp?
I would assume it's http://localhost:8080/testapp/jsp/Test.jsp. Therefore, if this jsp page
references ../../css/Styles.css, then Tomcat will try to pick it up from http://localhost:8080/css/Styles.css
and not from http://localhost:8080/testapp/css/Styles.css, which is where it is!

BTW, why do you think it's a bad idea to keep web designers focused on the look and feel of
the site and releaving them from the deployment details?

Thanks.

Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroeder@gmail.com> wrote: On 7/5/06, Alec Swan  wrote:
> Web designers don't run web servers or servlet containers on their machines. (I call
their environment "static").

I understand -- and I think that's a bad idea. But whatever.

> So, in my running example Test.jsp would have the following relative link ../../css/Styles.css
in order for it to work in the "static" environment.

Exactly -- which is what I tried, and which works just fine for me.

> However, this relative link doesn't work when I deploy Test.jsp in Tomcat.

So, what's different? What path do your logs show as being requested?