tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob Hall <rfha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: log4j in webapp hanging Tomcat?
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 04:53:58 GMT
--- Avi Deitcher <avi@deitcher.net> wrote:

> The simple classes (a JSF backing bean and a filter)
> are set to use
> either commons-logging or log4j directly (I tried
> both). In either case,
> the moment that I uncomment any category line and
> one of my classes (the
> filter or the bean) calls log.debug("some message"),
> Tomcat freezes
> entirely. This is true whether I use log4j directly
> or commons-logging
> in my classes, and whether or not I comment or
> uncomment the first
> log4j.rootCategory line in log4j.properties. I get
> some output from the
> appender matching the pattern, and then freeze. I
> cannot access any
> context; I cannot use the manager; the only thing I
> can do is kill the
> Tomcat process.
>
> I am at wit's end with this; it took literally days
> to narrow down that
> it was log4j's activation doing it.

Avi,

You didn't mention which OS you are using.  If
it's *nix you may be able use 'truss' to get info
on exactly what Tomcat is doing when it "freezes".
BTW, a google search produced several hits for
linux impl's of solaris' truss command.  My
guess is that you'll find that Tomcat is stuck
in a "loop".

HTH,
Bob