tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Claassen <mclaas...@ocie.net>
Subject RE: Random HTTP 502 errors
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:54:44 GMT

I was wondering if this is just caused by Tomcat closing the socket before
the proxy finished reading the message.  Is there a way to set the LINGER on
these sockets?

It still seems a big strange to me that the LINGER could be a problem, since
there are no problems when not using the proxy.  If it was the LINGER I
would expect that our Java client would have problems too.  Still, it is
something I can look in to, as I am currently at a loss for any other
theories.

Lastly, setting the debug level in a connector does not seem to do anything
for me.  What is the secret to getting debug output on the connectors?

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Claassen [mailto:mclaassen@ocie.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:04 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: Random HTTP 502 errors

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on some strange 502 errors I
am having when going through a proxy.  We are using a relatively new proxy
server Sun-Java-System-Web-Proxy-Server/4.0

The error seems to be originating between Tomcat and the proxy.  When the
error occurs, the proxy logs say:
Error reading response header.  Server closed connection.

On a thousand rapid requests from a client thread, I will get this only 0 -
3 times.

If I send the response header "Connection: close" on every request from my
servlet, I do not get the error.  However, I do not want to disable
persistent connections.

I did a snoop, and I noticed that the responses I get (on the same socket) a
bunch of replies with this header:

	HTTP/1.1 200 OK
	Transfer-Encoding: chunked