tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Darren Hall" <dh...@utrs.com>
Subject Setting the classpath for my application
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:59:12 GMT
Is the fact that I'm receiving a ClassNotFound error from Tomcat's
ClassLoader for a class that I've created indicative of a bad classpath?
Are jar files stored in WEB-INF/lib automatically included in Tomcat's
classpath for my application?

If so, how do I set the classpath for my application in Tomcat?

Thanks,

Darren

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Hall [mailto:dhall@utrs.com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 11:19 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: ClassNotFound - Is WEB-INF/lib in my app's classpath?

Ok, I've deployed my application in Tomcat 5.5 on Solaris using the war
deploy feature in the manager.

The application (lets call it 'foo') shows up in the manager as '/foo', so I
know that it deploys. When I look in catalina.log, I see a ClassNotFound
exception, alerting me that the ClassLoader wasn't able to find my
ControllerServlet class. Here is the error from Catalina.log:

2006-07-24 09:38:46,987 DEBUG
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/foo] -
Sending application start events

2006-07-24 09:38:46,987 DEBUG
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/foo] -
Starting filters

2006-07-24 09:38:47,002 INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/foo] -
Marking servlet controller as unavailable

2006-07-24 09:38:47,002 ERROR
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/foo] - Error
  delegate: false
  repositories:
    /WEB-INF/classes/
----------> Parent Classloader:
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@1c92535
 com.abc.framework.controller.ControlServlet
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.abc.framework.controller.ControlServlet

My ControlServlet class is located in this jar file
webapps/foo/WEB-INF/lib/abc.jar in the package
com.abc.framework.controller;.

Are the jar files in WEB-INF/lib included in my application's classpath by
default? Do I need to make a classpath change somewhere? Is the fact that
WEB-INF/lib not show up in the repositories listing above meaningful?

Why can't Tomcat's classloader find my ControlServlet class?

Thanks,

Darren