tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Apache Connecting to Tomcat Using mod_jk Over SSL?
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 05:00:05 GMT

"Bill Glick" <bill@glick.com> wrote in message
news:00699973-5DD7-49EE-8A11-592FF9319E67@glick.com...
> I'm trying to get Apache httpd 1.3 to connect to Tomcat 5.5 using  mod_jk
> and SSL.  I get the impression that the AJP/1.3 protocol  supports SSL
> encryption, but I can't find much useful documentation  on how to do what
> I want.

Your impression is wrong :).  It's on the list as an option for AJP/1.4
(which is mostly vaporware at the moment :), but AJP/1.3 just works over
plain old Sockets.

> My Apache httpd 1.3 server is on a different subnet from my Tomcat  5.5
> server.  Both servers are Linux systems.  I have SSL working fine  on the
> Apache httpd side.  I was hoping that the connector between  the two
> services could be encrypted with SSL as well.
>
> Can anyone point me to some documentation on doing this or provide me
> some steps for the best way to do this?

This comes up every few months, so searching the list archives should help.
Usually the least headache is to simply make sure that your internal network
is secure :).  However, the next most popular option seems to be to use SSH
tunnelling.