tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Tomlinson" <>
Subject Tomcat windows service terminated expectedly
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:07:01 GMT
We're running tomcat in standalone mode as a windows service. Every
once and a while tomcat crashes with no logs or errors. Just not
running anymore. The windows event log just says "service terminated
unexpectedly". The tomcat service can be restarted without problems.
We haven't been able to determine any pattern to these failures,
either in time or in usage. And we can't reproduce it on demand.

We have two different installations, and both see this problem:
Installation 1:
Windows 2000 Server
Java 1.4.2
Tomcat 5.0.18
Installation 2:
Windows 2003 Server
Java 1.5.0
Tomcat 5.5.16

I realize that this isn't much to go on, and I apologize for that. But
what I'm really looking for is just some information about what we
could possibly be doing in our web application that would cause tomcat
to crash with no logs (aside from calling System.exit(), I did check

Maybe if I present it as a challenge it will get someone's interest.
Challenge: write a servlet that crashes tomcat (running as a windows
service) without generating any logs!

I'm just looking for any hints about what areas I whould be looking into.

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message