tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <>
Subject Re: APR extensinos for Tocmat 5.5.17 cause a JVM crash on Windows OS
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:06:47 GMT
On 6/2/06, Stefan Baramov <> wrote:
> Hi everyone:
> Tomcat 5.5.17 for Windows (distribution apache-tomcat-5.5.17.exe) comes
> with a DLL file called tcnative-1.dll. According to the Tomcat
> documentation this is a native extension based on the APR and Open SSL
> projects. However,  the extension causes the JVM to crashes qutie often.
> The application is a image intense web app running on
> - Windows 2003 Server + SP1
> - JDK 1.5.0_06
> I've tried both server and client JVM's and both fails. I've tried to
> disable the AJP connector and still the problem was there. The problem
> disappears only if I remove the tcnative-1.dll from the system path.
> The attachment shows one of the crashes. It obviously points to the
> tcnative-1.dll. So can someone shed some light on this extension and
> problem it is causing.

You're using Java2D, which as usual is doing invalid accesses to the
output steam. Without APR, you would get issues like getting requests
which are already committed at the beginning of the request, and other
random behavior like that. The solution is to not give direct access
to the Servlet API to the Java2D components (using an intermediate
buffer, etc), or enable the security manager.

Rémy Maucherat
Developer & Consultant
JBoss Inc

To start a new topic, e-mail: