tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Biernatowski Bartosz J" <Bartosz.Biernatow...@rxsol.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat's scalability
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:15:50 GMT
I am about 90% sure the bottleneck is Tomcat or what's running on top of
Tomcat. Application uses JDBC queries to MS SQL server
Chips are Intel Xeon. My monitoring data:
Memory utilization under 30%, CPU under 10%. Using hardcore performance
tools and systematic approach.
The bottom line is that Tomcat/my application combo don't seem to handle
more than a certain number of users. All I want to do is to up the # of
users by 3.

So far it sounds that the approach of adding separate instance of Tomcat and
using round robin is better than adding a separate JVM.

BJ Biernatowski
Application Developer, e-Business

-----Original Message-----
From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:rosenberg.leon@googlemail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 10:49 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat's scalability

are you sure that tomcat is your bottleneck?
Your 4 CPU machine (which cpu's btw?) should be able to handle more
than 1000 users (unless you are speaking about suns cpu) without
problems. Maybe you should provide more info about your application.
Do you have any monitoring data?

Leon

On 6/19/06, Biernatowski Bartosz J <Bartosz.Biernatowski@rxsol.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I was hoping somebody on the list might point me in the right direction...
>
> I am trying to scale up Tomcat based web application currently supporting
> ~100 users to 350 users.
>
> It seems that I have enough hardware: 2 load balanced servers x 4 CPUs
each
> with 4 GB of RAM which is underutilized for most of the time even though
> application performance slows dramatically at peak times.
>
> I was advised to install multiple JVMs in order to improve Tomcat's
> performance. Another option I considered was to install 2 instances
> of Tomcat on each server to see whether it would handle increased load.
>
> Would anybody know what kind of performance improvement would multiple
> JVM/Tomcat installations provide? Are there any benchmarks available?
>
> Thank you for any help!
> BJ
>
> BJ Biernatowski
> Application Developer

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, including its
contents and attachments, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender by a "reply to sender only" message and
delete this e-mail immediately and destroy all electronic and hard copies of
the communication, including attachments.

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information,
and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this
e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby