tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <>
Subject Re: log4j warning: Please initialize the log4j system properly
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:46:56 GMT

log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, R
log4j.appender.R.File=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n, R

You might want to drop the space after the comma in log4j.rootLogger and
example: log4j.rootLogger=ERROR,R

Also '\' is an escape character, so you'll want to double up them to get
a \ in the file path in log4j.appender.R.File.
example: log4j.appender.R.File=C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software

JS Portal Support wrote:

>Just upgraded to Tomcat 5.5. In order to see what's happening at the context
>level I need to see the internal logging of Tomcat. My logs are not working.
>log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
>log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
>log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
>log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
>Can anyone point me to a direction? I have no clue what is wrong, and all
>the posts I have found all suggest to place the in the
>common/classes dir. I have done this and it is not working.
>log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, R
>log4j.appender.R.File=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
>log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n
>, R
>I hope someone has a clue. Best regrads,
>To start a new topic, e-mail:
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To start a new topic, e-mail: