tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: log4j warning: Please initialize the log4j system properly
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:46:56 GMT
[CATALINA_HOME]/common/classes/log4j.properties:

log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, R
log4j.appender.R.File=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.5\logs\tomcat.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=10
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina=DEBUG, R

You might want to drop the space after the comma in log4j.rootLogger and
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina
example: log4j.rootLogger=ERROR,R

Also '\' is an escape character, so you'll want to double up them to get
a \ in the file path in log4j.appender.R.File.
example: log4j.appender.R.File=C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software
Foundation\\Tomcat\\5.5\\logs\\tomcat.log

--David