tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <and...@2sheds.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat's scalability
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:53:08 GMT
Not only.

The issue is really whether it make sense to use the operating systems
process table as a queue or not. Up until linux new threading model in
Linux kernel 2.6 this was definitely the case. The 2.6 threads are very
efficient, so most programmers will not notice a real performance
degredation due to context switching. Threads are great, as long as they
are used for the purposes of doing multiple jobs at a single time -
missusing them as a 'connection queue' though is IMHO not a very smart
idea - This is why I prefer ZEUS and Lighttpd instead of Apache as web
servers.

Andrew