tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mladen.t...@jboss.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat as a standalone webserver. Why not?
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:27:16 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Web Servers are web servers primarily, focused on
> HTTP, compliance, speed and capability. Use the
> right tool for the right job :)

Agreed.
If you only need a web server, use a web server.
I think that the question is not whether to replace
the web server, but whether the web server is needed
for delivering the static content in cases where
there is already a Tomcat. In that case the APR can
be used.
With traditional Apache+mod_jk+Tomcat you have
tree points of failure; Apache, Tomcat and a connection
stack between them. With Tomcat+APR you have only two.
Because of the weak link rule, system will aways be
as stable as Tomcat is.

Just my 2 cents to this never ending kind of
discussions :)

Regards,
Mladen.