tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Echerer <m...@tngtech.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat as a standalone webserver. Why not?
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:10:09 GMT
Peter Lin wrote:
> I'm gonna say that's quite a bit of myth here. If SSL is important, get a
> cheap SSL enabled router. Doing software SSL is waste of CPU power and
> impacts the server's stability.  Anyone that has a lot of HTTPS traffic
> shouldn't be using software SSL in my bias opinion.  If you are so
> desparate
> that you need software SSL, as remy says, there's APR.  no need to stick
> apache httpd infront.

Guess my information regarding Tomcat + SSL was a bit outdated. Last
time AFAIR I measured Tomcat 5.0.x (no APR avail) vs. Apache+Tomcat 5.0.x.
So good to know there are new options with 5.5.x, Remy.

Well regarding the HW vs. SW question, there's another point:
Often you have different DMZs (e.g. you are required to do it for
security reasons and some "forced" protocol changes) eventhough you know
that you'll have servers running idle.
In that case you might have pure Apache HTTPD servers in one DMZ and
some Tomcats in another DMZ. Some HTTPS handling and not just AJP
forwarding will use at least some CPU time in your external machines.
;-) if an SSL-enabled router is not what other people want.

Cheers,
Michael