tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat as a standalone webserver. Why not?
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:29:12 GMT
This is getting dated but is still somewhat accurate:
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/connectors.html#integrate

The latest versions of Tomcat are comparable to apache in delivering static
content. But in reality - unless your site is very high traffic - this is not
an issue. Its ([expensive dynamic content] + [high concurrency]) which will
hurt your scalability.

For security, apache is more likely to be attacked than tomcat since it has a
wider usage base. (Notice how windows/IE is attacked alot, mac attacks are
coming, Linux attacks are already here, ...) Because of the higher threat to
apache - there are more resources dedictated to looking for apache
vulnerabilities and media outlets are more inclined to make apache
vulnerablities front page news. (I'm not saying this is right, its just the
world we live in). In a good apache + tomcat installation, only apache is
publicly available to the internet. Tomcat is only accessable by an internal
network AND apache. This should make tomcat very secure since the only
attacks it can receive are via apache or an internal network. (But there have
been attacks against apache and other servers which act as proxies by using
HTTP response splitting)

Personally - I like having apache in front of tomcat because I find it easier
to do CGI, static content directory aliasing, and the volume of available
modules to be very convenient. It also allows my site to be up with a higher
uptime since I can restart / replace a tomcat and in those periods of
downtime - I can reconfigure apache to have an outage message.

YMMV

-Tim