tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Turner" <arm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat's scalability
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:39:06 GMT
This discussion focuses primarily on serving static files to a client, not
processing dynamic web pages.  Most people running tomcat are processing
dynamic pages, like getting data from a database and compositing a page
based on that data.

An FTP site, or a static web site will typically be I/O bound or Network
bound, and the only way to increase throughput it to increase the number of
I/Os per second that your server can manage or increase the size of your
network interface.  A java based dynamic website is typically not I/O bound,
but CPU bound, which posses a different set of challenges than a static FTP
server.

Alex.