tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Turner" <arm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat's scalability
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 04:42:04 GMT
On 6/19/06, Leon Rosenberg <rosenberg.leon@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 6/19/06, Biernatowski Bartosz J <Bartosz.Biernatowski@rxsol.com> wrote:
> > I am about 90% sure the bottleneck is Tomcat or what's running on top of
> > Tomcat. Application uses JDBC queries to MS SQL server
> > Chips are Intel Xeon. My monitoring data:
> > Memory utilization under 30%, CPU under 10%. Using hardcore performance
> > tools and systematic approach.
> > The bottom line is that Tomcat/my application combo don't seem to handle
> > more than a certain number of users. All I want to do is to up the # of
> > users by 3.
>
> Sounds like your db connection pool is the problem. Maybe you should
> check whether you have enough connections in the connection pool.

Connection pooling, ahh yes.  This is also a likely problem if you aren't
doing any.

> > So far it sounds that the approach of adding separate instance of Tomcat
> and
> > using round robin is better than adding a separate JVM.
> I think both options are equal. How do you plan to run a separate
> tomcat in the same JVM?

Both options are equaly stupid.  Putting multiple intances of tomcat on a
single box is pretty worthless unless you have serious application
problems.  Tomcat is multi-threaded, and will by nature utilize a multi-CPU
setup.

If you ask me (and hey, we have thousands of concurrent users and a