tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Alex Turner" <arm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat's scalability
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:28:14 GMT
You've also totally failed to include numbers for I/O (don't forget, it's
not necessarily MB/sec that counts, it's requests/sec) and for Network
usage, and also for the perfomance pattern of the SQL Server system, which
is considerably more likely to be the bottleneck than the app seeing that
most people don't properly understand how to configure a database server.

Alex

On 6/19/06, Biernatowski Bartosz J <Bartosz.Biernatowski@rxsol.com> wrote:
>
> I am about 90% sure the bottleneck is Tomcat or what's running on top of
> Tomcat. Application uses JDBC queries to MS SQL server
> Chips are Intel Xeon. My monitoring data:
> Memory utilization under 30%, CPU under 10%. Using hardcore performance
> tools and systematic approach.
> The bottom line is that Tomcat/my application combo don't seem to handle
> more than a certain number of users. All I want to do is to up the # of
> users by 3.
>
> So far it sounds that the approach of adding separate instance of Tomcat
> and
> using round robin is better than adding a separate JVM.
>
>
> BJ Biernatowski
> Application Developer, e-Business
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:rosenberg.leon@googlemail.com]
> Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 10:49 AM
> To: Tomcat Users List
> Subject: Re: Tomcat's scalability
>
> are you sure that tomcat is your bottleneck?
> Your 4 CPU machine (which cpu's btw?) should be able to handle more
> than 1000 users (unless you are speaking about suns cpu) without
> problems. Maybe you should provide more info about your application.
> Do you have any monitoring data?
>
> Leon
>
> On 6/19/06, Biernatowski Bartosz J <Bartosz.Biernatowski@rxsol.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I was hoping somebody on the list might point me in the right
> direction...
> >
> > I am trying to scale up Tomcat based web application currently
> supporting
> > ~100 users to 350 users.
> >
> > It seems that I have enough hardware: 2 load balanced servers x 4 CPUs
> each
> > with 4 GB of RAM which is underutilized for most of the time even though
> > application performance slows dramatically at peak times.
> >
> > I was advised to install multiple JVMs in order to improve Tomcat's
> > performance. Another option I considered was to install 2 instances
> > of Tomcat on each server to see whether it would handle increased load.
> >
> > Would anybody know what kind of performance improvement would multiple
> > JVM/Tomcat installations provide? Are there any benchmarks available?
> >
> > Thank you for any help!
> > BJ
> >
> > BJ Biernatowski
> > Application Developer
> >
> > This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
> proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to
> which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
> recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
> that
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, including its
> contents and attachments, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
> in
> error, please notify the sender by a "reply to sender only" message and
> delete this e-mail immediately and destroy all electronic and hard copies
> of
> the communication, including attachments.
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
> >
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>
>
> This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
> proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to
> which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
> recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, including its
> contents and attachments, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
> error, please notify the sender by a "reply to sender only" message and
> delete this e-mail immediately and destroy all electronic and hard copies of
> the communication, including attachments.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message