tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Leon Rosenberg" <rosenberg.l...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat's scalability
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:56:45 GMT
On 6/19/06, Biernatowski Bartosz J <Bartosz.Biernatowski@rxsol.com> wrote:
> I am about 90% sure the bottleneck is Tomcat or what's running on top of
> Tomcat. Application uses JDBC queries to MS SQL server
> Chips are Intel Xeon. My monitoring data:
> Memory utilization under 30%, CPU under 10%. Using hardcore performance
> tools and systematic approach.
> The bottom line is that Tomcat/my application combo don't seem to handle
> more than a certain number of users. All I want to do is to up the # of
> users by 3.

Sounds like your db connection pool is the problem. Maybe you should
check whether you have enough connections in the connection pool.

> So far it sounds that the approach of adding separate instance of Tomcat and
> using round robin is better than adding a separate JVM.
I think both options are equal. How do you plan to run a separate
tomcat in the same JVM?

If you ask me (and hey, we have thousands of concurrent users and a
lot more requests) you need a monitoring tool for your application
inside your application not just vmstat or top. You need to know which
servlet/action/whatever your presentation layer is takes the time and
trace it down in the persistence. Everything else is just kindergarten
:-)

> BJ Biernatowski
> Application Developer, e-Business

Leon