tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <and...@2sheds.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat as a standalone webserver. Why not?
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:55:29 GMT
If you are running a big site with multiple servers, you do NOT want
to run
Apache in front of your Tomcats -

All that you do is increase latency, and half your performance. The HTTP
connector in TC 5.x is more than adequate to deal with heavy traffic
loads.

To be honest, I try not to use Apache at all any more, and tend
towards lighttpd
- depending of course on the requirements.

We deliver our images via a separate url ie: img.domain.com and
www.domain.com.

We have the images delivered via a lighttpd, and our dynamic content
delivered
via tomcat - we currently do our load balacing with an F5 BigIP for
these two
fully qualified host names. Yes - you can do all sorts of snazzy
things with
a proxy (like apache and mod_proxy/ mod_jk) out front - but I do not
think
it is worth the cost of the performance that is lost...

We did some tests 2 years ago for our system and discovered, with
Apache and TC
running on the same machine

With mod_jk, apache 2.0 and TC 5.0
50 requests/ sec

With just TC5.0
100 request/ sec

As for security - you have TC running in both cases - mod_jk passes
the requests
unfiltered straight through....

Therefore by adding Apache, you are only adding something else to go
wrong -
be broken - not solving any problems...

Andrew