tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Echerer <m...@tngtech.com>
Subject Re: problem in GC tuning
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 14:44:29 GMT
Prashant kumar wrote:
> Hi All,

>  1)  Is there any means  by which GC takes less CPU,  I mean that it
> can take longer time to complete  its one cycle (as memory is not a
> constraint) ?

You've set quite a lot of heap 3400m. Do you really need that much
memory? The more you set, the more the GC needs to scan. If it's unused
however, try reducing Xmx and Xms to values that are sufficient for your
app.
Then try to size the generations to get smaller chunks to be scanned and
check the survivor ratios.

Give the incremental GC a try. Might get worse, but probably it works.

http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2

> 2)  Do writing of logs at higher loads have some impact on the
> performance?

You should definitely disable GC logging in production, if you don't
need it for diagnosis anylonger.

Cheers,
Michael