tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "R. Christian Call" <rcc...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Can't build Tomcat 4: Help!?
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 21:49:11 GMT
Actually, I eventually was able to build it without downloading JSX; but
there were several things I needed to do that didn't appear in the
BUILDING.txt file:

1. I had to downloat jakarta-tomcat-connectors using svn, because it's
not available any other way that I could find.  To build version 4.1.24
of Tomcat, I used the TOMCAT_4_1_25 tag (there was no 4.1.24 tag for the
connectors).  I also built Tomcat 4.1.31, but I found that the
TOMCAT_4_1_31 tagged version of the connectors didn't work, though I
found that the 4_1_25 did.  Go figure.

2. I had to download jakarta-tomcat-jasper, which the BUILD.txt doesn't
say anything about.

3. I had to make a jakarta-tomcat-connectors directory both at the same
level of the directory tree as jakarta-tomcat, and one as a subdirectory
in jakarta-tomcat.

4. I had to use the *exact* versions of the various commons packages
that were specified in the sample build.properties file, despite the
"version xxx or later" verbiage.  Later versions simply wouldn't work.

5. For 4.1.31, I needed to download another package
(commons-modeler-1.1) that isn't mentioned in BUILD.txt, but that shows
up in the sample build.properties file for this Tomcat version.

If you're so inclined, you might want to note some or all of the above
things in the BUILD.txt file, to make things easier for others in the
future.

Chris