tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Wachter <Stefan.Wach...@gmx.de>
Subject JAVA_HOME / JRE_HOME still necessary?
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 11:13:17 GMT
Hi all,

wouldn't it be nice if Tomcat does not need the JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME
environment variable? After installation of the SUN-JDK these
environment variables are not set. Java is in the "path" and that's it.

While starting Tomcat the script "setclasspath.bat" checks if one of the
environment variables JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME is set. Then one of these
variables is used to construct the execution commands and to set the
CLASSPATH environment variable such that is contains tools.jar.

As far as the execution command is concerned using one of the
HOME-variables is not necessary as long as Java is in the path.

I wonder why the classpath must contain tools.jar. Tomcat 5.5 uses the
Eclipse Java compiler for compiling JSPs. Therefore I think that
tools.jar is no more needed.

Patching "setclasspath.bat" such that it no more relies on one of the
HOME variables I started Tomcat. It seems to work as usual.

Thanks for your attention,
--Stefan