tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Echerer <m...@tngtech.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat: The Definitive Guide Question
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 18:38:13 GMT
Marc Farrow wrote:
> Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 changed a bit in the way they handle and load
> contexts.  I wouldn't suggest getting a Tomcat 4 book for a Tomcat 5
> server.  SAMS has a Tomcat 5 Unleashed which is pretty good, but I don't
> think it covers Tomcat 5.5.
I read "Professional Tomcat 5" (Wrox Press). Not bad, but I'd say for
"real" problems the mailing list is still the best source of
information. BTW the Tomcat online documentation is in fact far above
open source average and some books are mainly a beautified "copy" of it.
Professional Tomcat 5 also doesn't cover 5.5.x, just 5.0.x and I'm not
aware of any 5.5.x book.
I read the first Tomcat book after using several Tomcat 4.1 and 5.0
versions productive and was slightly disappointed that the above book
didn't really contain "secrets" you could know after studying the online
documentation. Probably just stick to the online help and this list.

Cheers,
Michael