tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Darryl Miles <darryl-mailingli...@netbauds.net>
Subject Re: Servlet inter-communication
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 17:19:19 GMT

Maybe a useful URL to help address this matter when it bites, look for
the java code in the forum thread:
http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=935948&start=150

Something to put at the end of your
javax.servlet.ServletContextListener#contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent).

Abstracting your Singletons behind something else (maybe something as
saft as Map) which has simple lifecycle management hooks on all
contained objects would allow during context undeploy for the shutdown
to be called on the lifecycle.

Even I am not that zealous with caution to implement and use it for
everyday code.

The same problem can exist for ThreadLocal data (which a common pattern
hibernate uses), if you don't gaurd your code usage so that as you
cleanup from the servlet/filter you null out the ThreadLocal you may
have setup.

Darryl