tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Bubnic" <and...@channelmarketing.com.au>
Subject Applet sharing utility class with Servlet
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 01:58:12 GMT
Hi guys, hoping someone has an answer to this:

I have a servlet and an applet running in the same webapp. The servlet
needs to access a class the applet .jar contains. The applet is visible
to the browser.

Problem is: I need to access this applet utility class (or it could be
any class really, outside the WEB-INF folder but inside the current
webapp) from the servlet. I don't want to actually access the running
applet on the user's end, just the .class on the server webapp (so I can
instantiate it etc). I also don't want to have to keep a copy of this
utility class with the servlet class as a work-around as it's rather
inelegant.

I have heard you can modify web.xml in the webapp\WEB-INF folder to
allow access to any .class/.jar in the current webapp but I haven't been
able to find how to do this.

If you have any ideas or leads about this problem, please let us know.
Thanks guys.