tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <remy.mauche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rephrased: Maximum number of simultaneous HTTP connections
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:50:13 GMT
On 4/3/06, Daniel Guggi <daniel.guggi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> >
> > Right. I said you need to use polling, or use 5000 threads (which is
> > not a problem if you have enough memory).
> >
> Are you sure that 5000 threads is not a problem when you have enough
> memory. I'd be worried about wasting lots of cpu because of
> context-switching???

Yes, it actually works well on appropriate OSes (for example, on
recent Linuxes), and the CPU wasted is not significant. Of course,
it's a lot better to conserve resources if possible, it's possibly
unfair for some requests (which will wait more than others), and it's
more difficult to control concurrency in the business logic which
could lead to excessive locking (however, the said business logic
might be much simpler due to the easy to work with programming model).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat