tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Security....
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:02:47 GMT
You need a firewall. Can be a router or a software firewall with your
PC. You tell your firewall to allow access to the port that Tomcat is
open on, e.g 8080 and lock down ports you don't want open such as your
database port. Tomcat connects to the database locally on your machine,
so the outside world don't need access to that port. Your DB files can
be wherever you want them to be, Tomcat/JDBC connects to a DB on port,
not file location.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McQuade [mailto:m.mcquade@sympatico.ca]
Sent: 02 May 2004 14:55
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Tomcat Security....

Dumb question number 2 of the Day folks....  I'm a programmer, not real
swift on the security side of life....  I have Tomcat  (5.0.28)running
on my server at home,  to develop an application.....  I now want to
open up my Server to the Internet,  so potential clients can demo my
product from their office.....  Now I'm not rich, so I can't afford a
separate Web Server....
Can anyone tell me,  do I need to use separate products  to secure my
server from hackers, obviously I just want access to the App programs
and the database they are using....  I really have no clue about this
area of expertise....  Also, does my Database need to reside within the
Tomcat heirarchy on my Hard drive,  or can it simply be in
C:\mysql\database........

Thank You for any help you can provide me....

Mike

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474