tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: CATALINA_BASE and multiple instances
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:27:41 GMT
Don't know much about the BASE property, but all 6 of our devs have
local Tomcats on their machine, and CATALINA_HOME suffices. Ant is used
to push to a staging server. Perhaps your problem is solved by thinking
in a different way?

Allistair.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Rush [mailto:yahoo@davidarush.com]
Sent: 19 April 2006 15:25
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: CATALINA_BASE and multiple instances

I'm trying to get Tomcat 5.5.16 set up for multiple independent
instances (for use by multiple developers w/out stepping on each others'

toes) in Windows XP (and eventually 2003 Server).

I've got the binaries installed in c:\Apache\Tomcat5, and this is where
the environment variable CATALINA_HOME points.

I've got one instance set up in c:\arcims-tomcat, and this is where
CATALINA_BASE points.

However, when I tried to install log4j, I had to put the .jar files and
log4j.properties files under CATALINA_HOME/common in order for it to
work.  Putting them under CATALINA_BASE/common did not work.  Obviously
this is a problem because then multiple instances, which all share
CATALINA_HOME would be intermixed in one log file.  It also points to
the bigger problem of all instances sharing CATALINA_HOME/common for
everything.

Is there a way to get each instance of tomcat to use its own
CATALINA_BASE/common directory?

There's also the problem of getting multiple service-based tomcat
instances to have their own idea of what CATALINA_BASE points to.

David

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474