tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <>
Subject RE: JK Sticky Session Handling with Load Balancing
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:43:25 GMT
Hi Edgar,

Yep I just noticed that too :)) However, correcting this configuration
(to the below) does nothing to resolve the issue, because the lb worker
type by default has sticky_session=1. I set it explicitly anyway as

However, I have noticed that in fact Tomcat 2 is not returning
JSESSIONID headers as Tomcat 1 does when both Tomcats are in.

To recap then, when only Tomcat 1 is in the loop, JSESSIONIDs are
returned and remains consistent across requests. When Tomcat 2 is
brought in, Tomcat 1 starts generating a different JSESSIONID per
request, whilst Tomcat 2 returns no JSESSIONID at all.

Thanks, Allistair

=== new config ===

-----Original Message-----
From: Edgar Alves []
Sent: 18 April 2006 12:32
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JK Sticky Session Handling with Load Balancing

Hi there,
  You're setting the sticky_session property for each worker. That's not
how it works.
  That property is valid only for the loadbalancer and it takes a
boolean value. Set it to 'True' or '1' to get the desired effect.
  Read for
more info.

  -- Edgar Alves

Allistair Crossley wrote:
> Hi,
> I have setup 2 Tomcats on the same machine fronted by IIS, and used a
> sticky_session=1 JK (1.2.15) load-balanced setup (as printed at the
> foot of this email)
> I setup a JSP on both Tomcats that outputs the session ID.
> With only 1 Tomcat started, making requests to the JSP results in the
> same session ID being output on each request.
> When I start up the 2nd Tomcat and continue making requests to the
> JSP, I am switched between both Tomcats rather than staying on the
> same Tomcat and therefore acquire a new session ID.
> However, with the 2 Tomcat's "in the loop" the session Ids become
> different *per request* no matter which Tomcat is used.
> I would have expected at most 2 unique session Ids (one per Tomcat)
> since with 1 Tomcat running only, the 1 unique session ID is
> I would appreciate any help or guidance as to why this may be
> Cookies are enabled, and jsessionid is not being used on URLs.
> Cheers, Allistair.
> == config ==
> worker.list=loadbalancer
> worker.tomcat1.port=8009
> worker.tomcat1.type=ajp13
> worker.tomcat1.lbfactor=1
> worker.tomcat1.cachesize=10
> worker.tomcat1.sticky_session=1
> worker.tomcat2.port=8109
> worker.tomcat2.type=ajp13
> worker.tomcat2.lbfactor=1
> worker.tomcat2.cachesize=10
> worker.tomcat1.sticky_session=2
> worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
> worker.loadbalancer.balance_workers=tomcat1,tomcat2
> QAS Ltd.
> Registered in England: No 2582055
> Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
> Disclaimer:  The information contained within this e-mail is
confidential and may be privileged. This email is intended solely for
the named recipient only; if you are not authorised you must not
disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. If
you have received this message in error please contact the sender at
once so that we may take the appropriate action and avoid troubling you
further.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender.  QAS Limited has the right lawfully to record,
monitor and inspect messages between its employees and any third party.
Your messages shall be subject to such lawful supervision as QAS Limited
deems to be necessary in order to protect its information, its interests
and its reputation.
> Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard Inbound and Outbound emails,
QAS Limited cannot guarantee that attachments are virus free or
compatible with your systems and does not accept any liability in
respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.