tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject JK Sticky Session Handling with Load Balancing
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:06:38 GMT
Hi,

I have setup 2 Tomcats on the same machine fronted by IIS, and used a
sticky_session=1 JK (1.2.15) load-balanced setup (as printed at the foot
of this email)

I setup a JSP on both Tomcats that outputs the session ID.

With only 1 Tomcat started, making requests to the JSP results in the
same session ID being output on each request.

When I start up the 2nd Tomcat and continue making requests to the JSP,
I am switched between both Tomcats rather than staying on the same
Tomcat and therefore acquire a new session ID.

However, with the 2 Tomcat's "in the loop" the session Ids become
different *per request* no matter which Tomcat is used.

I would have expected at most 2 unique session Ids (one per Tomcat)
since with 1 Tomcat running only, the 1 unique session ID is maintained.

I would appreciate any help or guidance as to why this may be happening.
Cookies are enabled, and jsessionid is not being used on URLs.

Cheers, Allistair.

== config ==

worker.list=loadbalancer

worker.tomcat1.port=8009
worker.tomcat1.host=localhost
worker.tomcat1.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat1.lbfactor=1
worker.tomcat1.cachesize=10
worker.tomcat1.sticky_session=1

worker.tomcat2.port=8109
worker.tomcat2.host=localhost
worker.tomcat2.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat2.lbfactor=1
worker.tomcat2.cachesize=10
worker.tomcat1.sticky_session=2

worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balance_workers=tomcat1,tomcat2

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
its interests and its reputation.