tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: A docbase ... inside the host appBase has been specified
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:33:53 GMT
What it means is there is a context xml file (typically in
config/Catalina/localhost, probably subset.xml) that specifies a docBase
attribute.  That attribute is useful if the webapp is not within
tomcat's webapps directory, but ignored as redundant when the webapp is
in the webapps directory.  The message is more or less info level
logging and does not indicate an error.

Nothing to do with your web.xml file.  Are you having trouble getting
your servlet to run when you call it?

--David

bloggy_ttop@mac.com wrote:
> I apologize for the rookie mistake, but I can't figure out what I've
> done wrong here...
>
> I'm trying to configure a simple servlet, but when I launch tomcat
> (via IDEA) I see this message in the tomcat output:
>
> "A docBase /Volumes/misc/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/webapps/subset inside
> the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored."
>
> I haven't been able to figure out the cause of this (or really what
> the error means)... perhaps an error in my web.xml (at the end of this
> email).
>
> Your help is appreciated.
>

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
> Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
> <web-app>
>     <servlet id="CommandServlet">
>         <servlet-name>CommandServlet</servlet-name>
>
> <servlet-class>com.(obfuscated).subset.controller.CommandServlet</servlet-class>

>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>type1</param-name>
>             <param-value>getTestCase</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>impl1</param-name>
>
> <param-value>com.(obfuscated).subset.controller.GetTestCaseCommandProcessor</param-value>

>         </init-param>
>     </servlet>
>     <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>CommandServlet</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/CommandServlet</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
> </web-app>

David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor