tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: jsvc creates LOTS of processes
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:59:33 GMT
Chances are you are doing nothing wrong. How many threads/processes are
started when you start tomcat manually?It could easily be the way your
kernel implementation handles threads (assuming this is Linux). Some
list threads as processes (version 2.4 and before), newer 2.6 kernels don't.

--David

Mark Shifman wrote:
> I noticed that jsvc creates about 68 processes on one of my servers.
>
> I start it using an init.d script under redhat 9.
> I don't think I have done anything egregious.
> ...snip
> CATALINA_OPTS=" -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx750m -Xms750m"
> ...snip
> start(){
> $DAEMON_HOME/jsvc \
>    -user $TOMCAT_USER \
>    -home $JAVA_HOME \
>    -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
>    -Djava.io.tmpdir=$CATALINA_HOME/temp \
>    -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
>    -errfile '&1' \
>    $CATALINA_OPTS \
>    -cp $CLASSPATH \
>    org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
>    echo "starting tomcat: " $CATALINA_HOME
>    echo "tomcat user: " $TOMCAT_USER
>    #
>    # To get a verbose JVM
>    #-verbose \
>    # To get a debug of jsvc.
>    #-debug \
> }
>
> I was getting a 143 error on exiting Tomcat with an old version of jsvc.
> I got the version packaged with 5.5.16 and compiled it just in case
> this was fixed.
>
> My 143 error is gone, but there still are lots of processes generated
> when I start Tomcat as a daemon.
>
> I have another server where only 1 jsvc.exe process is started when I
> start Tomcat.
>
> What am I doing wrong on the server with 68 processes.
>
> mas

David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor
Department of Entomology