tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Shifman <>
Subject jsvc creates LOTS of processes
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:55:22 GMT
I noticed that jsvc creates about 68 processes on one of my servers.

I start it using an init.d script under redhat 9.
I don't think I have done anything egregious.
CATALINA_OPTS=" -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx750m -Xms750m"
    -user $TOMCAT_USER \
    -home $JAVA_HOME \
    -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \$CATALINA_HOME/temp \
    -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
    -errfile '&1' \
    -cp $CLASSPATH \
    echo "starting tomcat: " $CATALINA_HOME
    echo "tomcat user: " $TOMCAT_USER
    # To get a verbose JVM
    #-verbose \
    # To get a debug of jsvc.
    #-debug \

I was getting a 143 error on exiting Tomcat with an old version of jsvc.
I got the version packaged with 5.5.16 and compiled it just in case this
was fixed.

My 143 error is gone, but there still are lots of processes generated
when I start Tomcat as a daemon.

I have another server where only 1 jsvc.exe process is started when I
start Tomcat.

What am I doing wrong on the server with 68 processes.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message