tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tom Bednarz <l...@bednarz.ch>
Subject Re: Preload of servlet does not work with Tomcat 5.5.15
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:00:25 GMT
Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>Tom Bednarz wrote:
>

>>I defined the following in the web.xml of my web application:
>>
>>  <servlet>
>>    <servlet-name>MTWInit</servlet-name>
>>    <servlet-class>ch.smartsol.mtweb.servlets.MTWInit</servlet-class>
>>    <init-param>
>>      <param-name>MailConfiguration</param-name>
>>      <param-value>/WEB-INF/config/Mail.properties</param-value>
>>    </init-param>
>>    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
>>  </servlet>
>>
>>This servlet is NOT loaded at all. This is true for the following
>>situations:
>>
>>- when running in Eclipse (with MyEclipse IDE) debugger, the breakpoints
>>in the servlets init() function are NEVER hit
>>- when running tomcat as service (under Windows) no log entries are
>>written which means init() is never called
>>
>>Any idea what could be wrong??
>>

>WAG: maybe you did overload GenericServlet#init instead of overriding it. But
>I doubt that anyone can tell for sure with so little information provided.
>
>Regards
>  mks

Don't know what you mean with that. Here is part of my servlet code:

public final class MTWInit
    extends HttpServlet
    implements Runnable
{
    public void init(ServletConfig config) throws ServletException
    {
        super.init(config);
        configureLog4J();
        mAppLog.info("Running init()");
        this.m_Application = config.getServletContext();

        m_Application.setAttribute("MTWInit", this);
        configureMail(config.getInitParameter("MailConfiguration"));
        //
        // Creating and starting various threads
        //
        /*
        CfgThread = new Thread(this);
        CfgThread.start();
        mAppLog.info("Config thread started!");
        */
    }

}

I also added reloadable= true in the context tag but it did NOT change
anything, this servlet is NEVER loaded!

Tom