tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edgar Alves <eal...@mobicomp.com>
Subject Re: JK Sticky Session Handling with Load Balancing
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:32:27 GMT
Hi there,
  You're setting the sticky_session property for each worker. That's not
how it works.
  That property is valid only for the loadbalancer and it takes a
boolean value. Set it to 'True' or '1' to get the desired effect.
  Read http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/config/workers.html for
more info.

  -- Edgar Alves

Allistair Crossley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have setup 2 Tomcats on the same machine fronted by IIS, and used a
> sticky_session=1 JK (1.2.15) load-balanced setup (as printed at the foot
> of this email)
>
> I setup a JSP on both Tomcats that outputs the session ID.
>
> With only 1 Tomcat started, making requests to the JSP results in the
> same session ID being output on each request.
>
> When I start up the 2nd Tomcat and continue making requests to the JSP,
> I am switched between both Tomcats rather than staying on the same
> Tomcat and therefore acquire a new session ID.
>
> However, with the 2 Tomcat's "in the loop" the session Ids become
> different *per request* no matter which Tomcat is used.
>
> I would have expected at most 2 unique session Ids (one per Tomcat)
> since with 1 Tomcat running only, the 1 unique session ID is maintained.
>

> I would appreciate any help or guidance as to why this may be happening.
> Cookies are enabled, and jsessionid is not being used on URLs.
>
> Cheers, Allistair.
>
> == config ==
>
> worker.list=loadbalancer
>
> worker.tomcat1.port=8009
> worker.tomcat1.host=localhost
> worker.tomcat1.type=ajp13
> worker.tomcat1.lbfactor=1
> worker.tomcat1.cachesize=10
> worker.tomcat1.sticky_session=1
>
> worker.tomcat2.port=8109
> worker.tomcat2.host=localhost
> worker.tomcat2.type=ajp13
> worker.tomcat2.lbfactor=1
> worker.tomcat2.cachesize=10
> worker.tomcat1.sticky_session=2
>
> worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
> worker.loadbalancer.balance_workers=tomcat1,tomcat2
>

> <FONT SIZE=1 FACE="VERDANA,ARIAL" COLOR=BLUE>
> QAS Ltd.
> Registered in England: No 2582055
> Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
> </FONT> <FONT SIZE=1 FACE="VERDANA,ARIAL" COLOR=BLACK>
> Disclaimer:  The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be
privileged. This email is intended solely for the named recipient only; if you are not authorised
you must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. If you
have received this message in error please contact the sender at once so that we may take
the appropriate action and avoid troubling you further.  Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender.  QAS Limited has the right lawfully to record, monitor
and inspect messages between its employees and any third party.  Your messages shall be subject
to such lawful supervision as QAS Limited deems to be necessary in order to protect its information,
its interests and its reputation.

> Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard Inbound and Outbound emails, QAS Limited cannot
guarantee that attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems and does not accept
any liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.