tomcat-users mailing list archives

From V D <st946...@drexel.edu>
Subject Re: [OT] How to write/use Tomcat's war classloader
Date Sat, 15 Apr 2006 03:53:38 GMT
Thank you for your interest.  The application starts very slowly with
the war and my classloader (this is a standard app, not webapp).  The
war also has a webapp in it.  This has nothing to do with the
application logic.  It's the leading time to load the classes.  It takes
about 2 or 3 minutes.  The same JVM 1.5.0 runs Tomcat (5.5.12) would
response to request much quicker (about 10 seconds) after the 1st
request.  If I run the war file unpacked and using standard classloader,
it's a couple of seconds before things run.  However, using our own
class loader with the packed war (which searches all libraries in the
lib and classes in the classes directory) it takes along time described
above.

My question is about how Tomcat does this in the unpacked war scenario.
I couldn't find the Tomcat loader that does this.  I suspect it unpacked
it first, but this is a wild speculation.