tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aladin Alaily <tom...@aladin.ca>
Subject Re: stop ``ant install'' copying the app to <tomcat>/webapps
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:45:52 GMT
Hi Tim,

Assuming your application is called "tim" and you want to map it to "/tim"

Place a tim.xml file in: ${TOMCAT_INSTALLATION}/conf/Catalina/localhost/

tim.xml contains:
=================
<Context path="/tim" reloadable="true" docBase="LOCATION OF YOUR
COMPILED CODE!" />

build.xml:
==========
Tell ant to compile the code in the location specified in tim.xml

Now, your applicaiton will reload everytime you re-build and you won't
have to develop in the <tomcat>/webapps directory.

Hope this helps.
Aladin

tschaeffer@acesoft.com wrote:
> This is a fundamental question, but I can't find an answer to it anywhere.
>  Probably right in from of my nose.
>
> I have set up my development environment exactly as directed in the tomcat
> docs.   When I ``ant install'', the app is copied to the <tomcat>/webapps
> directory, and a subsequent ``ant compile'' after a JSP change updates the
> copy in the build directory, but tomcat doesn't see it unless I do a
> ``remove'' and ``install''.  I expected ``install'' to deploy it from the
> build directory.
>
> Is there some setting in server.xml or web.xml that allows this?  I don't
> want to develop in the <tomcat>/webapps directory.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim S.

> Our company accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences
of any actions taken on the basis of the information