tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Franck Borel <bo...@ub.uni-freiburg.de>
Subject Re: Apache and Tomcat
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:59:23 GMT

> Hi ALL
>
> Apache is a Standalone Web Server
> Tomcat is a Standalone Application Server

Tomcat is a Servlet-Container/JSP! If you need an application Server,
use JBoss or Geronimo instead.

Please look at: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/index.html
> My question is can I have Tomcat Application Server only to host my
> JSP Servlets
> application or do i need also Apache Web Server

You don' need the Apache Web Server. Tomcat supports HTML and SSL, so
that you can abstain from Apache Web Server.
> Please also let me know whether Apache Web Server is written in C
> Programming Language and Tomcat is written in JAVA and the mod_jk
> connector is written in C Language

The Apache Web Server and mod_jk are written in C++ and Tomcat is a pure
Java application.

-- Franck