tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kurt Overberg <k...@hotdogrecords.com>
Subject Please help me check my mod_jk setup?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:29:28 GMT

I'm hoping that someone here can tell me if this configuration looks
sane, or at least in line with what others are using.  I am running
Apache 1.3.33, mod_jk 1.2.15 and tomcat 5.0.28.  The apache and each
tomcat are running on separate RedHat ES release 4 machines (so 3 boxes
total).  I'm pretty unsure of the settings in the workers.properties
file versus the settings in the tomcat server.xml file.  Specifically
regarding the timeouts.  I thought that this configuration would really
do the trick, but the system freaked out and locked up again this
morning.  "Freaked out and Locked Up" means that the number of sockets
open from the Apache to the tomcats skyrockets (300+, up from an average
of 50 each), and all the apache requests get stuck in the "W" state
(from the /server-status/ page).  All machines are on the same subnet,
with no firewalls in between.

Any comments, ideas, thoughts, or chants of "no whammies" would be
greatly appreciated.  Even if this all looks very sane, please let me
know, so I can feel that I got this (relatively) right and start
investigating elsewhere for the problem.  Thanks.

/kurt

RedHat version:

[root@www1 conf]# uname -a
Linux www1.bzzagent.com 2.6.9-22.0.2.EL #1 Thu Jan 5 17:03:45 EST 2006
i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Machines are relatively beefy Althon boxes with 1Gb ram each.

Tomcat connector configuration from server.xml (both tomcats):

     <Connector port="8089" protocol="AJP/1.3" maxThreads="400"
maxProcessors="0" minSpareThreads="25" connectionTimeout="300000"
maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8593"/>

Relevant Apache 1.3.33 configuration:

MaxClients 512
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
MaxKeepAliveRequests 0
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 16
MaxSpareServers 64
Timeout 300

mod_jk.conf configuration:

JkWorkersFile /usr/local/apache/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile     /usr/local/apache/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel   info

# workers.properties configuration

worker.list=tc1-w1,tc2-w1,status,loadbalancer

# tomcat 1 on host tc1
worker.tc1-w1.host=192.168.1.254
worker.tc1-w1.port=8089
worker.tc1-w1.type=ajp13
worker.tc1-w1.lbfactor=8
worker.tc1-w1.socket_keepalive=1
worker.tc1-w1.socket_timeout=60
worker.tc1-w1.recycle_timeout=60
worker.tc1-w1.connect_timeout=60000
worker.tc1-w1.prepost_timeout=60000

# tomcat 1 on host tc2
worker.tc2-w1.host=192.168.1.247
worker.tc2-w1.port=8089
worker.tc2-w1.type=ajp13
worker.tc2-w1.lbfactor=8
worker.tc2-w1.socket_keepalive=1
worker.tc2-w1.socket_timeout=60
worker.tc2-w1.recycle_timeout=60
worker.tc2-w1.connect_timeout=60000
worker.tc2-w1.prepost_timeout=60000

worker.status.type=status

worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=tc1-w1,tc2-w1