tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Schulz <sch...@videotron.ca>
Subject Re: tools.jar not in CP (Tomcat 5.5.15)
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:36:10 GMT
I tried to copy tools.jar to shared/lib, but I think that the JVM itself
might prevent that from working,
not sure about chapter and verse though.

After perusal of the source code and comparison between 4.1.31 and
5.5.15, as well as comparing the
Windows and Unix startup scripts, I am now more or less certain that the
problem is in setclasspath.sh,
where tools.jar is only added to the classpath if the command is 'debug'
or 'javac' (which is not the case).
I guess javac is not an option to start catalina, as I was mistakenly
assuming earlier, but rather refers to the Java compiler.
In essence, on Unix, you will never see tools.jar in the classpath.  The
Windows startup scripts on the other
hand, will always have tools.jar in the classpath - hence the discrepency.

I will open a bug for this, and as a workaround remove the check in
setclasspath.sh for my own needs.

   Martin